A website redesign can be a wonderful boost to your morale and your bottom line. Or, it could be a total disaster. It all depends on how well you prepare for the project.
Do you need a website redesign?
A website redesign project is no small task. Before you put in the time and effort it takes for a complete redesign, you need to decide if your website needs a redesign in the first place.
One way to determine if your site needs a redesign is the copyright date at the bottom. If it still says 1998 or anything before the year 2000, you definitely need a fresh start. Here are some other ways to determine if you need a website redesign:
- Your brand has visibly changed and no longer matches your website
- Your site isn’t meeting your marketing or business objectives
- Your site uses outdated technology such as Adobe Flash (RIP)
- Your site doesn’t look good on mobile devices (take the Google mobile website test)
- You feel uncomfortable sharing your website with clients or prospects
- Managing or updating your site is difficult and time-intensive
- You’re missing out on new technology that can generate leads
- It just looks… bad.
All kidding aside, you probably have a gut feeling one way or the other. Take a look at your overall marketing plan and if your current site falls short of meeting those goals, it’s time for a redesign.
Is it just the website?
Chances are if your website is out of date, your brand, and marketing collateral is not far behind. Marketing becomes stale when businesses fall back on the status quo. You might look back over the past 5 years and realize you spent more time managing the business and less time promoting it.
Being progressive and innovative doesn’t just apply to your products and services. Effective marketing requires effort and leadership to make a business more profitable and memorable.
Gather all your marketing materials in one room and really pay attention to your message. Is it designed well? Is it consistent? Do they provide your prospects with valuable features and benefits?
What should a website redesign accomplish?
Great question! You certainly don’t want to invest in a redesign if it isn’t beneficial to your business. Depending on how extensive the effort, a redesign can cost just as much as a brand new site. Don’t go haphazardly into a redesign project. Spend some time with your team outlining your goals. Make sure they align with your business objectives. Here are some common objectives:
- Focus on quality design. It really does make a difference
- Make sure the website works perfectly in all browsers
- It needs to be mobile-friendly
- SEO is a must. Spend time doing some keyword research
- Integrate and connect social media profiles
- Add a blog. Here’s how to get started blogging
- Install Google Analytics to track visitor behavior
- Have clear calls to action to generate more leads
- Each page should have a unique purpose
- Define goals for the site. They should align with your overall business objectives
- Create a plan to update and maintain the site over time
What’s the website redesign plan?
The website redesign plan is to actually have a plan. Spend some time deciding what you want the redesign to accomplish. Write down all the goals you hope to achieve and discuss how your website can potentially make it happen. Here are some examples:
- Need more leads? Create landing pages and offer free downloads.
- Want to be a thought leader? Blog monthly if not weekly.
- Aiming for better brand recognition? Social media integration is key.
- Growing your email list? Add an email opt-in form on every page.
If you don’t have goals for the new site, you can’t effectively measure the success of a website redesign. Before you speak with your creative agency (preferably us) you need to have a serious sit-down with your team. Start by identifying key business objectives and present those ideas to your designer. Your business (and bottom line) will thank you later.
Schedule a Free Website Review
Our website review is comprehensive, informative and provides you with actionable advice to improve your current website. Schedule a review today!